Pages

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Julie Starts a Blog

I've resisted starting a blog for a long time. I decided that I would start a blog if 5 people would read it. Well Tim, Margaret, Dana, Jenn, and Erin, here you go. I have a blog. Now you'd better read it.
One of the reasons that I didn't want to start a blog is because I'm very uncreative. I couldn't think of a title for my blog, which is a pretty critical part of starting one. Today, like most days, I went to the pool to swim. When I tried to get out, I lost my balance and fell over. Yes, it was as embarrassing as it sounds, but it made me think about my balance.

As all 5 of you know, my balance has been subpar since my SCUBA accident a few years ago. With the rupture of my round window membrane, my inner ear fluid came streaming out of my cochlea into my middle ear. In the process, it damaged some of those little hairs that populate the cochlea. Bottom line: I have a compromised ability to sense the relative position of my head and body (and chronic ringing of the ear from the "hair" damage).

The test for the ability to sense relative position of the head and body is called the Romberg Test. The Romberg test works like this: stand with one foot directly in front of the other. Close your eyes. Stand there. No problem, right? Well, when I do this, it feels like someone very strong is pushing me to the side, so I fall over. This is a positive Romberg test. Here's the great part about this overly medical paragraph: Romberg tests are sometimes used to detect sobriety. Research reveals that 50% of people have a positive Romberg test with a BAC of 0.12 (the legal limit to drive is 0.08). 75% of people have a positive Romberg test with a BAC of 0.18-0.20 - over twice the legal limit. Ever since I found out this tidbit, I have been giddy with joy. I mean, how many other people can say that they have the proprioception of a drunk person while completely sober?

Basically, balance is one of my new favorite topics of conversation. Why not use it in the title of my blog?

Balance has other connotations, though. It is used to describe the concept of prioritizing various life demands ("work-life" balance). Growing up a scholar athlete, I learned the importance of navigating the delicate balance between the conflicting demands of school, athletics, other extracurriculars, and family/social life.

I used to spend 10 minutes every morning trying to gain my physical balance back. I tried and tried and tried to learn how to have a successful (negative) Romberg test, but ultimately, I realized that I simply couldn't improve. Unlike my physical balance, my school-work-athletics-life balance is something that I have control over. I am currently attempting to become the best (soon-to-be) wife I can be, earn a professional and graduate (PharmD/PhD) degree, and pursue triathlon at the elite level, all while maintaining my sanity. So that's what this blog is about. If any of you five decides not to read it, let me know so I can spare myself the embarrassment of only having four readers.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment